Well as you know I have been wanting to do Tequila Talks for a while on this little blog of mine but, have been so damn busy (which was overwhelming then and wishful thinking now). The funny irony of life is when we all have so much time to do those things we never got around to doing we can’t because we’re not allowed! It is mind bending. And that is when T starts talking to me…so in the spirit of a hopeful future (May please be May) I wanted to share with you some of my favorite Tequila recipes and toast all of you my family, my friends, my followers. In a time not too far away we will be hosting, laughing, drinking, eating, (in person) and I will have many a Tequila Talk Show guest full of interesting useful and fun facts just for you! Til then Salute! – RR
TaTa’s Tequila Shrimp – Don’t ask…
- 1 1/2 pounds large shrimp in shell (21 to 25 per pound), peeled and deveined
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup white or reposado tequila
- 3/4 cup crema or sour cream
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- Juice of one lime
- Fresh Cilantro Rice (White or Brown with butter and chopped fresh cilantro)
- Toss shrimp with kosher salt and 3/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper.
- Heat butter in a 12-inch heavy skillet over medium-high heat until foam subsides, then sauté shrimp, turning, until pink and just cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes. Reduce heat and add tequila, then increase heat to medium-high. Tilt skillet over gas burner to ignite tequila (or ignite with a long match; use caution, as flames may shoot up high). Cook, shaking skillet gently once or twice, until flames subside. Remove from heat and stir in crema. Serve sprinkled with scallion.
- Salt (optional)
- 1/2 oz Grand Marnier
- 1 1/2 oz Premium tequila – I like Don Julio for this cocktail
- 3/4 oz Fresh lime juice
- 1/2 oz Simple Syrup (I/2 sugar 1/2 water sauced)
- Garnish: 1 None Lime wheel – I like Orange
- If desired, moisten the rim of a rocks or cocktail glass and coat with salt.
- If using a rocks glass, fill with ice.
- Add the remaining ingredients to a shaker and fill with ice.
- Shake, and strain into the prepared glass.
- Garnish with a fruit wheel.